January 26, 2007

to be Praised!

I don't think that I take being married for granted. After all, waking up most days and being awed by the fact that I get to wake up next to this man for the rest of my life doesn't exactly sound like I'm taking him for granted. Seriously, a day doesn't go by when I don't thank God for my husband. My relationship with him has been so healing in so many ways. I don't mean to say that we haven't had our rough spots where Allen was at his wits end, and I was crying on the sofa. We've had days like that, but on a day to day basis I think our marriage is practically perfect. Then I hear stories like I recently heard from another newly wed wife. Her marriage isn't perfect. She has respect issues, and he has issues being respect-able. He isn't loving towards her, but she doesn't seem to be giving him a lot of reasons to be. It's a rough tangle that literally makes me want drop to my knees and simultaneously beseech Christ on their behalf and praise God that I have as kind and loving and dang near perfect a husband as Allen. I can't even imagine the struggles that this couple is going through. I really want to be able to talk to her and help her, but I feel so inadequate. I hate to speak out of my good marriage and presume to tell her what to do when I haven't been in her shoes. It's so easy to say, "Well the whole problem is that you aren't respecting him. Give up on the rest and respect him. Make supper for him whether he appreciates it or not and don't gripe if he stays on the computer all night despite your gentle requests for a little conversation." I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE! But I can tell you that if I was there and someone with a good marriage tried to tell me that I would seriously want to punch them in the nose. Probably a pride/anger issue I know, but it's tough hearing from someone who seems to have it all together that you need to do everything different when it's taking all your strength to just making through the day without walking out the door. I don't know if that's where they are right now, but that's where they're headed in a hurry. I just pray that people (perhaps us Lord?) will be able to come along side them and encourage them and counsel them. It's not just either one of their problem. It's them together.
Again thank God for a husband like Allen. I don't deserve a great marriage. I didn't pass some test with God so that I could automatically opt for a perfect marriage. It could just as easily be me trying to hold things together with a husband who doesn't seem to all that worth holding on to at times. Oh, but praise God that I have Allen. I don't why God has decided that they need to go through this storm, and I can't feel guilty that they are where they are. All I can do is stand back and marvel at the wisdom and grace of God who dispenses His will left and right, and we do not know the reasons why.

No comments: