January 4, 2008

New year, new goals

Having recently escaped into the warm arms of grace, rules and lists and such still tend to frighten me with specters of my former captivity. However, though grace is everything the law is not void, and there's nothing wrong with a few sensible rules. To that end here are a few of the ways in which I want to grow this year.

1. Stop letting worry, stress, and guilt paralyze me and keep me from doing the things I want and need to do.
Sometimes just the thought of how much I need to do and want to do and haven't even started to do overwhelms me to the point where I feel incapable of tackling any of it. Therefore little to nothing gets done, and I feel even worse. Wash, rinse, repeat.

2. Realize that it's ok for me to take time to do the things I really want to do. Like sewing.
I'm a genius at procrastinating with the computer or a novel, but the minute I get up and start trying to actually do something I immediately feel bad that I'm not doing something else. Thus I piddle away time that'd I'm much rather be spending on productive things because I don't want to face the worry over whether I'm doing enough or the right thing. Clear as mud?

3. Pick two things everyday to do -one chore and one project, spend at least some time on each, and don't worry about whatever else I could be doing with my time.
Start breaking the habits. Spend at least a little time each day sewing, crafting, or reading a really good book.

Start here. See where we can go from here.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Natalie, your list reminds me very much of some of my personal goals last year at this time. You are on the right track - after having my mind renewed and changing many wrong thought processes, I am beginning to see the fruit! I'll be praying for you! These are great goals...