January 6, 2010

thoughts for the last day of Christmas

While elsewhere people are putting up Valentine's merchandise and pulling lights down from the rafters, Allen and I are looking forward to the last official hurrah of Christmas. The living room isn't perfectly clean. There aren't any whimsical centerpieces, crackling fires, or gathered friends. There are steaks marinating on the counter though and unopened presents waiting under the tree. This isn't the Epiphany I hope to be celebrating five or ten years from now, but it's the very best Epiphany our travel wearied selves can celebrate this year. And, by God's grace, it's enough. Tonight, with steak and good wine, gingerbread and sweet potato soup, we'll quietly close out what has, in some ways, been the best Christmas we've ever celebrated.

That's the thing about getting better with practice. I don't want this Christmas to be the best Christmas ever because that means I'll spend all my other Christmases looking back to one tiny high point wishing I could go back again and capture a few fleeting moments. I want this Christmas to be the best Christmas so far - not the best one ever. But with that desire comes to the temptation to rush ahead and try to plan three or four Christmases out instead of enjoying the one I have right here. I need to rest in imperfection for a while.

So my bookcase needs organizing, and I can think of a dozen things I'll likely try to do differently next year. But I think it's been the best Christmas so far. And that is enough for this year.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Hi, Natalie -
my husband loves Sierra Trading Post for camping supplies - they usually have really good discounts on name brand stuff. Something I have learned about snow gear since marrying my skiing husband - snow pants don't have to be insulated (read: fat and frumpy:)) to be warm. The idea is for them to provide a solid, wind breaking layer. Worn with good long johns (and without jeans), my snow pants (similar to these
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1769T_Holden-Bardot-Ski-Pants-Waterproof-For-Women.html)
keep my legs warm on the chilliest of rides up the ski lift, thanks to the 'pocket' of warm air between the long johns and the snow pants.
Hope that helps. Have fun camping!!!