October 16, 2007

stitching away...

Well, I've got everything cut out except the sleeves which I'll wait to do until last so I can accurately fit them to the bodice. The skirt is sewn up except for hemming it and attaching it to the bodice. I'm a little disappointed with the skirt because despite making it a full 120" wide it really doesn't look as full as I expected. Hopefully it will look better with the chemise underneath it. Right now though I'm working on making the corded interlining. It will add a lot of time to the project (when I don't have a whole lot of time anyway), but I'd rather take more time to do something that will look nice than wish I'd done it when it's too late. According to Jennifer Thompson's website (which has been an absolute Godsend to me)there's no documented proof that this is a period technique, but it does give the correct silhouette. Since I'm not sure about my abilities to make simple linen lay the way the portraits show, I'm going with the cording. Just pray that the bodice actually lines up right when it comes time to lace it all up.

4 comments:

Lauren Christine said...

You must post pictures when you're done :)

Bobbie-Jo said...

Yes - I'd love to see it!

When did you change your blog name? I thought the last one was cute and clever, but this new one is meaningful. I like them both.

Natalie said...

I changed it a couple of weeks ago when I was in a thoughtful mood. I'll likely change it again sometime when the mood strikes. Glad you like my titles.

Earth Weary said...

Try putting horsehair on the hem so all the fullness really gets to show-off. That should help with the look. You could also try wearing a 1/3 petticoat underneath which would just push the skirt out from the waist down about 8". Just make a really full mini skirt basically, and wear it under! Good Luck!!
I love your blog these days, as always. I think your acceptance of God's will is beautiful and your gentle patience inspiring! Take heart and keep up the good work.