April 4, 2007

We're here!

I finally got to unpack the silverware my granny bought us for our wedding! The secondhand stuff we were using will be gratefully returned to Allen's grandparents so it can be reused when one of the other boys needs it. I really don't have a thing against second hand, but I've been wanting to get this set unpacked and ready to use. It has about every serving piece I could imagine and more than a couple that I didn't. I can't wait to figure out what some of these pieces are for. Other than that I am still in a sea of boxes and newsprint. Since we quickly discovered that they'd left out a whole (big) closet I've spent the last couple of days hunting up storage solutions. Praise the Lord though, because I can make everything work without the closet, and they're going to drop our rent to boot. It won't be a lot of money, but it will pay for some of the utilities that they don't cover. Really, all I've had to do is rethink how I use space. For instance, some of the nice things I used to keep on the baker's rack can be moved to the mantle (yes, this place has a woodburning fireplace) to make room for the dishes. Since I don't have a ton of cabinet space in the kitchen this will help free up space for other things. Even then I think I'm going to have to get a little creative in how I store things in there. Most of the linens (bath towels were a huge hit at our showers) go in the very tippy top of a closet in the other bedroom. The rest go on a shelf unit I bought to go over the toilet. Since the closets are tall and have double hanging bars I can get pretty much all our clothes (with the exception of one's we're currently using) in one closet in the back bedroom and leave the other closet for storing boxes ie Christmas things, winter clothes, etc. I'll keep our closet for clothes and shoes that we need now and just rotate things between the closets. It's going to be a good apartment I think. I have a ton of ideas for fixing things up and decorating and such. It's going to be hard for me to switch gears and think about getting baby stuff ready.

No comments: