February 7, 2007

One small snip for me...

I know this is so not a huge deal for most people, but yesterday I actually went into a haircutting place and got my hair cut. That's it. She took off between and inch and a half and two inches total and did some long, well blended layers. The serious observer might notice that my hair is a tad different, but overall I walked out of there looking much like I did before I walked in. However, I've heard so many horror stories of people with long hair (mine is just a few inches shy of my waist) walking into a hair salon and walking out with tears and chopped off hair. I'm not obsessive about my hair, but I do try to take care of it, and I didn't want some "believe me I know what you want" hair stylist making a salad of it. Before I'd always had my hair cut by either my mom or a friend from church. Never someone I didn't know. Have I mentioned that I have some trust issues? I want to know that I'm doing the exact right thing and making the exact right decision and that everything is going to come out exactly right. That's the big deal. I was going to walk in a sit down and relinquish control over my hair to a stranger. Actually, that's kind of what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'm going to walk into the women's center, and a nurse is going to poke and nod and draw blood work and proceed to tell me things about my body and my baby. I'm going to come face up against the reality that I'm not in control of everything. Most of the time we can pretend or ignore our own helplessness, but it's times like these that I blanch at my own precarious position. However, the alternative is to not get help -to let my hair get ratty and unattractive and to neglect to let people guide my pregnancy and prepare me for birth. Of course, I might be coming up against my own helplessness, but that doesn't mean that I'm hopeless. I know that God is good and that He works all things for good. If I'm trusting Him then I don't have to be afraid of what other people around me are doing. I don't have to fear my helplessness.

Didn't know there was so much to getting a simple hair cut did you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put! (From one control freak to another LOL)