February 2, 2007

A stitch in time...

Can save you from spending too much at Walmart. I'll have to post pictures when I'm finished just to show the cute prints, but I bought some flannel on sale yesterday to sew up into burp cloths. I got a tan print with a brown flower and butterfly design on it, a pink and green calico looking print with a white background, an indigo and dark rose flower print scattered over a creamy white background, and a pink piece with purple, white, yellow, blue, and green polka dots. I love the feel of the third piece -it feels just like an old shirt that's been worn around a dozen campfires. All I'm going to do is cut out two rectangles, lay them wrong sides together, and run a zig zag stitch around the edges. I doubt the flannel will fray too terribly badly, and I can't see taking a lot of time to finish the edges on a piece of cloth that's just going to be spit up on. I can make them for about 5o cents a piece instead of paying $7.50 for a pack of 4 at Walmart. Not bad, eh?

I also bought a piece of fleece on sale that I'm going to blanket stitch around to make a baby blanket. It's a pink plaid with teddy bear faces on it. Too cute! They also had some chenille on sale, but I didn't bother to buy any. I am tempted though. I think it'd be kind of clever to make a patchwork with the chenille stripes going in all different directions. It'd also be a really simple intro to patchwork....Hmm, I might be making another trip to Hancock's.

1 comment:

Erica said...

What fun! Your prints sound absolutely adorible!! I can't wait to see pictures! :D

--Erica