September 28, 2007

food and it's aftermath

Well, I've pretty much finished getting my freezer restocked like I wanted too. Not that it will stay that way for very long, but it sure is nice to be able to just pull something out of the freezer some days when things just get busy I can't see standing in the kitchen for another hour. I must add that I really, really like meatloaf. I've made it three times, and every time has been different. It's been spicy and loaded, cheesy peppery, and (in it's most recent incarnation) reminiscent of a cheddar, bacon, bbq burger. This time I went ahead and threw in a handful of chopped bacon with a generous dollop of bbq sauce, and while it was cooking I brushed the top with a mixture of bbq sauce and ketchup. Kind of different but very good. My kitchen however is rather in pieces. Although it's far from total chaos in there I'd say it's at least partial chaos :) Those sausage biscuits I mixed up didn't exactly contribute to the situation. I'm a bit disappointed in them. The gluten free mix I used has something of a bitter after taste to it. It's not overpowering, but it does rather detract from the finished goods. Fortunately honey covers a multitude of sins, and my in-laws (the males at least) are always willing to help clear any less desirable dishes out of the way ;) Handy fellows to have around indeed. I suppose though that I shouldn't be too picky when it comes to the gluten free flours though and just be glad that there is such a thing available to me. I don't have celiac or anything like that. It's just that my body needs a rest from gluten grains right now. Hopefully taking a break now will keep me from developing any serious allergy or resistance later.

No comments: