September 23, 2007

Homemade Hamburger Helper with squash

Since we go to church in the evening (our church is cool like that), we decided to make supper for lunch. I ended up throwing together a bunch of things that I grabbed at the grocery store on the way home last night (along with a few things I had on hand), and it turned out quite well.


Ingredients:

1lb browned ground beef
1c chopped sliced pepperoni (optional)
1 package elbow macaroni (I use Tinkyada brown rice noodles)
2 cans tomato paste
2 onions chopped
1med yellow squash chopped
1med zucchini chopped
1 can red beans (optional)
1lb grated mozzarella
1c milk, cream, or half n half
2c broth (approx)
2c water (approx)
salt, pepper, garlic salt (large pinch)
crushed red pepper flakes (light pinch)
oregano, rosemary, and basil (approx 1tb each)

Method:

Brown meat and drain. Then mix the tomato paste with the meat, veggies, broth, and seasonings in a large skillet and let simmer. Cook covered (stirring often) until the veggies are crunchy tender (about 20min). Remove pasta from the water while still barely crunchy and mix into skillet. Remove from heat. Cover with grated cheese. Replace lid and let the cheese melt then serve.

I don't even really like squash, and this is good. Another thing I love about the cook it and serve it the skillet meals is that all those yummy minerals and nutrients from all my veggies are still right there in the pan and soon to be on their way to my tummy.

No comments: